Does Your Home Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning? Skip to main content
Connect with Us Facebook Twitter
Home Electrical Tips Does a Home Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Does a Home Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide detector

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious threat that homeowners should be aware of. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can be deadly when inhaled in high concentrations. In this blog post, we'll cover what carbon monoxide is, how it can enter your home, the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and how to prevent carbon monoxide from becoming a problem in your home.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas that is produced when fuel is burned. It can come from many sources, including gas stoves, furnaces, fireplaces, and generators. When carbon monoxide enters the body, it binds to hemoglobin in the blood, preventing oxygen from being carried to the body's tissues. This can lead to serious health problems, including death.

What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can vary depending on the concentration of the gas in the air and the length of exposure. Common symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and confusion. In severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to loss of consciousness, seizures, and death.

From where does Carbon Monoxide Enter the Home?

Carbon monoxide can enter your home from a variety of sources. It can come from malfunctioning gas appliances, such as furnaces, water heaters, and stoves. It can also come from blocked chimneys or vents, which can cause carbon monoxide to build up in your home.

How to be Safe from Carbon Monoxide Problem?

To be safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, it's important to have your gas appliances and chimney inspected regularly by a licensed professional. You should also install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home and replace the batteries regularly. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, evacuate your home immediately and seek medical attention.


In conclusion, carbon monoxide poisoning is a serious threat that homeowners should be aware of. It's important to understand what carbon monoxide is, how it can enter your home, and the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. By taking preventative measures, such as having your gas appliances inspected regularly and installing carbon monoxide detectors, you can protect yourself and your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

At Titus Electrical Services, we offer carbon monoxide detector installation services to help keep your home safe. We also provide gas appliance inspections to ensure your home is free of carbon monoxide hazards. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help keep your home safe from carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you need to hire a professional electrician in Longmont, call Titus Electrical Services at 303-915-5771, or fill out our online request form.